Recently, a viral video of a Proton X90 catching fire – the boot area, to be specific – started making its rounds on the internet. Some speculated that the fire was caused by the premium SUV’s mild hybrid 48V battery, but Proton said that this is simply not the case.
In a statement released by the national carmaker, it said that the X90 in question is currently under the company’s possession for further investigation. “We would also like to clarify there was no explosion caused by the Proton X90’s mild hybrid (48V) battery,” the statement reads.
“We understand the concerns of the public and kindly request cooperation to refrain from engaging in speculative discussions and would like to emphasise investigations are still ongoing,” the carmaker added. Proton also assures customers that its vehicles are developed to meet the highest standards and have underwent stringent quality and safety inspections before being handed over to customers.
So there you have it, officially from Proton itself. Hopefully, we’ll hear more from the national carmaker on the actual cause of the X90 catching fire. We reckon it will give current X90 owners peace of mind.