Unboxing RM1,099 MTG Commander Masters Collector Boosters Box!
August 4, 2023 Andrew Cheng

As the first Masters set made exclusively for the Commander format, Magic: The Gathering’s newest Commander Masters expansion is quite an intriguing one. After all, the Commander format is one of the most popular ways to play the card game.

Consisting of 40 new cards and “beloved reprints,” as Wizards puts it, Commander Masters features collectable versions of fan-favourite cards. They feature the new borderless frame break treatment where the artwork “explodes” out of the card, which does look quite good.

In conjunction with the launch of the new set today on 4 August, Wizards sent us a box of Collector Boosters from the Commander Masters set to check out. Without further ado, let’s get to the unboxing!

For the Malaysian market, a box of Collector Boosters from the Commander Masters set (which includes four boosters) costs a cool RM1,099.99, with individual boosters priced at RM249.99. So yes, oddly enough, purchasing four boosters separately will actually save you RM100. Well, RM100.03, if you want to be specific.

Collector Boosters command a premium as they contain cards with exclusive treatments. In the case of Commander Masters, textured foil, foil-etched, and extended-art cards from the set can only be found in Collector Boosters. You’ll also get 15 MTG cards and one token card in a pack of Collector Booster.

Here’s the breakdown of cards that you can get in a Commander Masters Collector Booster: four foil commons; two foil uncommons; one foil basic land in the retro frame; two non-foil borderless commons or uncommons; one foil borderless common or uncommon; one foil rare or mythic rare; one foil-etched rare or mythic rare; one non-foil (80% chance) or foil (20% chance) extended-art rare or mythic rare from Commander Masters Commander decks; one non-foil borderless rare or mythic rare; a foil or textured foil (4% chance) rare or mythic rare; and finally, a foil double-face token.

Although every rare slot in a Commander Masters Collector Booster can also be a mythic rare, we only managed to pull one mythic rare card from the four boosters we opened. On the bright side, we got a Demonic Tutor with the borderless frame break treatment, which is currently going for $59.99 (about RM270) on Card Kingdom.

Besides that, we also opened several cards with the borderless profile treatment. These include a non-foil Azusa, Lost but Seeking, as well as a foil Maelstrom Wanderer. Both of these cards are currently priced at $9.99 (about RM45) on Card Kingdom; not too bad.

As mentioned, every Collector Booster will come with a foil basic land in the retro frame, which looks quite good, in our opinion.

And that is our unboxing of MTG Commander Masters’ Collector Boosters. There’s no denying that Collector Boosters are quite costly, though the prospect of cracking open valuable cards with the exclusive textured foil, foil-etched, or extended-art treatment is certainly exciting.